Thursday, July 04, 2013

Andy’s Big 60th Birthday Weekend

I knew Karen was planning a surprise for my 60th. The only thing I was told was that I would get 1 hour to pack. I had already been banned from the spare bedroom and the fridge in the garage (the drinks fridge!!). On Friday afternoon I was given the hours notice, I was then sent to my bedroom and told not to come out for 15 minutes, I still have no clue on what is happening.
We get into the car and head south down the A595, I now guess we are staying somewhere in Cumbria and Karen tells me we are not camping. We head into Eskdale and we pass Boot and there is only 3 places left, one of those is Hollins Farm campsite, we cant be staying there as we are not camping, but we turn in! I then spot Malcolm, one of our walking group and think surely she has not planned a walking weekend, we had had a big walk in the week.

We leave the car and go towards a group of pods and I see our pod, with this great poster Karen had made up. It is at this point everyone pops out of their pods, the video below shows the complete surprise I had and my Stan Laurel impression. What on earth are Bernie, Lesley, Ian, Joyce, Dawn, Linda and Billy doing here, they DO NOT do camping. I think my head turns 360 degrees as I then see Lisa, Stuart, Andy, Cheryl, Julie, Paul, Eireann, Andy, Libby(amazing effort from those 2 as I know it is a 9 hour drive from Pembrokeshire), Malcolm, Dunny, Colin, Gabby and Brian.

bday0001

bday0002
It had rained a bit at home that afternoon but it was torrential in Eskdale , the roads going over were partially flooded. Some of the group stayed in tents and had great fun erecting them.

Lesley sheltering from the weather.
bday0003

bday0004
Here comes Stanley!
Gobsmacked.
bday0006
Opening a present, thanks Kevin.
bday0007
That's how it works.
bday0008
We adjourn to the pub for dinner and a few drinks, Ian is peckish and had a pudding.

bday0009
Quite a fashion statement from Lesley.
bday0010

bday0011
The banner is hung between the trees, thanks Bernie.
bday0012
If anyone else mentions Harry Potter they are in trouble.
bday0013
On Saturday the plan was for everyone to do their own thing. Peter had now turned up having driven up from Manchester this morning. 8 went on La'al Ratty to Ravenglass, 6 walked up Sca Fell, Karen took Crag for a walk with Lisa, Stuart & Katie, the rest of us went to the Woolpack Inn to watch the Lions rugby match, 10.45 in the pub can make it a long day.
The great white hunter makes an entrance, love the socks Bernie.
bday0014

bday0015

bday0016

bday0017
The banner picture of me I was aged somewhere between 12 and 15 but hey not changed a jot!!
bday0018

bday0019
Lisa and Stuart crossing the stepping stones to get to Stanley falls.
bday0020
Stanley falls.
bday0021

bday0022
The pod area.
bday0023
Crag is happy there is a stream running through the campsite.
bday0024
That's why they are called squeeze stiles.
bday0025
Very ladylike.
bday0026

bday0027
Cooking on the bbq, thanks Libby and Andy for your help, mind you it was the warmest place to be as the only rain we saw was when we were cooking. After the bbq we adjourned to the pub, again!
bday0027a

bday0028
Dunny is a bit concerned about the scissors.
bday0029

bday0030

bday0031

bday0032
Everyone made their way home on Sunday morning and I cant thank them enough, especially Lisa and Stuart who had booked their holiday to the USA and changed it to be there.

My biggest thanks has to be to Karen, you all know how much I LOVE and ADORE her. The effort Karen put into this was amazing and keeping it secret was awesome.
On Monday I was presented in the Robbo with this wonderful cake. It is in the shape of a tent and some happy campers in the tent, thanks guys. It tastes good as well.
bday0033

bday0034

bday0035

bday0036
Yes that is a bum sticking out.
bday0037

bday0038

bday0039

bday0040
My birthday presents, boys toys, a 5ton hydraulic wood splitter and saw horse with a chain saw bracket.
bday0041

bday0042
On my birthday Karen and I went into Whitehaven for lunch and back to the Robbo for a couple, yes only a couple. We have had a wonderful but very full on few days.

No comments: