Sunday, May 23, 2010

Camping In Settle, Yorkshire

This weekend we met up with 6 friends at Langcliffe Campsite in Yorkshire We were there first & had been allocated a great area for our 4 tents at the top of the campsite After putting the tent up we went for a walk from the campsite with the dogs. Next to the campsite is an old mill that is still in use making cardboard packaging The reservoir next to a welcome splash for the dogs as by now the day was getting rather hot We crossed the River Ribble by the weir & spotted what we believe were salmon making their way back up-stream to spawn
We then followed the river towards Settle, we couldn't believe how low the water levels on the river were.
Then across some fields to reach the town
By the time we got back Mary & Gerry had arrived & were putting their tent up, we were next to the children's play area & wondered whether we would keep Barry & Peter off the slide later!
From our pitch you could see the summit of Pen-y-ghent one of the Yorkshire "3 peaks" we were planning to climb the next day.
The next day dawned bright & we drove the 5 miles to Horton in Ribblesdale to start our walk. We were parked up by 8:15 (in the overspill car park as the main one was already full), & couldn't believe just how many people were walking this route today.
We chose to do the walk clockwise (conventionally it is done anti-clockwise) & it was a very good choice as we were relatively alone as we ascended Ingleborough
The summit is the flat peak in the middle of the picture (even if it hadn't been hazy it was still a long way away)
As we walk further on it still seems to be a long way in the distance
Finally we seem to be able to see the route to the summit, Bess & Crag lead the group up.
Looking back along the path we have followed
To the dogs surprise & pleasure there is a small tarn near the summit
From the summit plateau a hazy Whernside which was to be the next peak
Everyone taking a break at the summit of Ingleborough (723m)
We decided due to the excessive heat & lack of water for the dogs that we would break away from the rest of the group now and head for a more direct route back along the valley. We gave them 15mins start on us (so the dogs wouldn't race off with them).
We retrace our steps to begin with, looking across to Simon Fell & Park Fell
Then a very steep descent to Chapel-le-Dale
We reach flatter ground, looking up at the route we have just come down
Thousands of tadpoles in a small pool
To give an idea of how busy this route gets in many places there are two stiles, presumably one for each direction
A limestone pavement
A little cloud on Whernside
We were grateful to find refreshments at Philpin Farm & after an ice cream each set off for the very impressive Ribblehead viaduct.
I wonder which way the wind blows here
As we approach the viaduct we have been walking for nearly 5 hours with almost no shelter from the sun & many of the streams along the route that we had hoped to get water for the dogs in had been dry. A sit down in the shade under the viaduct is called for.
But there is very little shade here either, we look at the map & realise we are only a few hundred yards from Ribblehead station & Horton in Ribbesdale is one stop down the line. We arrived just before 1:30 with no idea how long we would have to wait for a train. Luck however was on our side & the 1:15 was late & we only had to wait about 10mins.
We drive back to the tent where the dogs crash out in the shade. Crag decides to sleep in the tent but with his head sticking out to keep an eye on what we are upto.
Bess opts for the shade under Malcolm's car
Andy basking in the final rays of the day
A really enjoyable weekend, but too hot to attempt long distance high fell walks. We were grateful we could cut ours short with the train, the rest of the group didn't get back until 8:15 when we were sitting down to dinner in the Royal Oak & they had to settle for Fish 'n' Chips.

No comments: